Partners on the Way Down

Lessons from my husband

I married a Viking!  Arne Paulsen, my gentle, giant Viking.  He is a man with Norwegian blood running through his veins, like men who long ago advanced and conquered much of the northern hemisphere. 

Similar to his ancestors, Arne’s pursuit of adventure overcomes him every so often.  His 50th birthday was celebrated with a drive of a lifetime in a Winston Cup car; his 60th took him to Mount Antero, in Colorado, and this year for number 61 he returned to tackle Mt. Missouri.  

These Colorado trips are taken with a group of men from church and while driving home each shares what they learned on the climb.  Arne arrived home last Sunday night just after eleven O’clock and was so pumped that we stayed up until two! He did all the talking and I just listened, with burst of unrestrained laughter.


There was no laughter though as he told of the two things he learned on the mountain this year, I sat and soaked in his wisdom.


First, Arne learned that, “We all need a partner!”  Last year he climbed alone and the “big” bear paws he discovered brought a quick end to the adventure.  This year he had a partner, Rich, who walked with Arne and “had fellowship, one with another.”  I John 1:7  We need each other, none of us is meant to do life alone.  We are a body who function together and when one is cut off it brings death in many ways.

Rich and Arne, Mt. Missouri, 7-21-12
Second, Arne learned that, “It’s almost as hard coming down as it is going up!”  He told the guys, “I’m on the downside of life and in my younger days I assumed life would be easier with the kids gone, with retirement around the corner and my youthful ‘stupid ambition’ under more control of the Holy Spirit…but I was wrong.” 




So true in both of these lessons!  And when both are combined…


We all need Partners on the Way Down!

Hebrews 3:13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this post. We were discussing the need for partners at lunch today - three of our mancave guys were here for lunch (one a grandson). They are each out of high school and on a serious search for a life-partner. Part of the discussion was on how to find the right partner.
    I also agree that life on the the way "down" isn't any easier than it was on the way "up."

    ReplyDelete